Our slogan, "from IP to IPO", describes what we are passionate about: helping entrepreneurs create value through innovation, changing the world for the better.
The journey often starts with the inception and protection of an idea (the "Intellectual Property") and may grow to include listing on a public exchange (an "Initial Public Offering").
From our loft office in the heartland of innovation and entrepreneurship, Techno Park (Stellenbosch, South Africa), we have created a platform for bright minds to collaborate for the benefit of big and small clients at any stage of their maturity.
We believe that curiosity and a healthy appetite to continue learning are key to practising law successfully and as such, invest substantially in knowledge management initiatives that not only keep us current, but allow us to recognise trends in the development of the law.
By dynamically organising ourselves in teams according to the requirements of each client matter, our professionals seamlessly bring the right expertise to bear on the work we do, all the while maintaining a personable experience.
Technology law services
- technology agreements (e.g. development, support, maintenance, outsourcing, service level & licence agreements)
- data science services (e.g. agreements pertaining to artificial intelligence, machine learning & other predictive analytics)
- cloud computing (e.g. software-as-a-service, cloud storage)
- privacy (e.g. compliance with POPI)
- bespoke escrow services (e.g. escrow of source code, domain names transfer escrow)*
- intellectual property valuations*
- electronic contracting & signatures*
Intellectual property law services
- international registration & management of intellectual property rights (e.g. trade marks)
- patent & design registration with our trusted network of external experts
- transactions (e.g. licensing, assignments, securitisation)
- enforcement (e.g. litigation, oppositions and complaints, counterfeit goods)
- advanced watching services (e.g. early infringement detection)
Corporate & commercial law services
*by Swart Advisory Services (Pty) Ltd, a group company
- transactional work (e.g. advice, mergers, acquisitions, due diligence)
- corporate governance, structures, shareholder relationships (e.g. memorandum of incorporation, share classes, shareholders agreement, board rules)
- funding, private equity, venture capital (e.g. subscriptions, convertible loans, buy-backs)
- company secretarial (e.g. incorporation, share issues and securities registers)